Please vote on December 6th at the West Genesee High School Auditorium Lobby from 6:00 a.m.-9:00 p.m. You can learn more about what this special project entails by visiting this link for the slide deck presentation.
New School Schedule - December 6th
- The student day will now be 7:45 a.m.-2:15 p.m.
- The building will be open for students who need early drop off at 7:15 a.m.
- There is no longer any morning student drop off at the back door.
- Drop off will take place at the sidewalk between WGMS and Stonehedge. Please follow the directions of Officer Skardinski.
- Student afternoon pick up remains at the back door. (Door #6)
- Your patience during the first few days will be greatly appreciated. Please expect some delays until the routes become predictable.
You can support our terrific WGMS PTA by purchasing spirit wear! Here is the link to order. Orders must be placed by December 12th. You will be able to select home delivery or school pick up. We can’t guarantee delivery prior to the holiday.
STUDENT COUNCIL FOOD AND PET FOOD DRIVE
Our Student Council will be collecting non-perishable food items and pet food to be donated to the Food Bank of Central New York and the ASPCA. The drive will run from December 6th-17th. Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 homerooms in each grade level for the most donations. Thank you for your support!
December 6th - Special Referendum Vote
December 8th - 6th Grade Band, Chorus and Orchestra Concert at WGHS - 7:00 p.m.
December 10th - Wildcat Friday - Wear your Blue and Gold
December 11th - Report cards available for viewing in Schooltool
December 15th - PTA Meeting in the Library- 5:00 p.m.
December 24th-January 2nd - Holiday Break - No School
Save the Date for the Community Forum about the Special Referendum Capital Project!
Mark your calendar for the Special Referendum Community Forum to be held on Monday, November 15, 2021, and also save the date for the vote on the referendum which will be held on Monday, December 6, 2021.
Information about the Special Referendum can be seen in each school lobby on poster boards and also more detailed information is available on the website by clicking here.
Attention: Schedule Change
At the Board of Education meeting last week, Superintendent Bills updated the community regarding the necessity to change the daily schedule at WGMS. On November 15, you will receive a communication that will outline the new times for our school day. You will be given the opportunity to make changes to your busing needs through November 19. The first day of our new schedule will be Monday, December 6. If you have any questions at all please call Mr. McGrath at 315-487-4615 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
West Genesee Middle School operates on a trimester system with report cards being issued three times per year. All report cards can be viewed in Schooltool. Mark your calendars now with the dates: December 11, 2021, March 26, 2022 and June 24, 2022.
Our sixth grade teachers still use the typical 100 point scale to report grades for each assignment. We encourage our students and families to make it a habit to check Schooltool regularly to monitor assignment completion and academic progress. Our 5th grade students do not receive numerical grades since their progress is measured using learning standards. They receive a score of 1 (has not met standard), 2 (making progress) or 3 (met standard). These scores will be noted on each report card. Individual assignments will not be graded in Schooltool.
We are excited to be delivering our Second Step Curriculum with all 5th grade students. The topics we have covered thus far include Empathy and Respect, Listening with Attention, and Being Assertive. As Counselors, we find that students often calm down just by being heard. We encourage you to practice listening with attention with your children. Model the behaviors listed below for your children and have them practice those same behaviors with you.
Here is the Attentive Listener’s Checklist:
- Focus on the person’s words
- Don’t interrupt
- Ask questions to find out more
- Repeat what you heard to show you understand
Transportation Appreciation Day
The West Genesee transportation staff has been working diligently to get our students to and from school safely each day. Today the West Genesee District Council and District PTAs/PTOs sponsored an appreciation day for our transportation staff. Dunkin' Donuts coffee and donuts were provided in the transportation department as a token of appreciation.
WGMS Presents Willy Wonka Jr.!
Mark your calendars for the WGMS production of Willy Wonka Jr. which will be held on the following dates:
- November 18 - Thursday - 7:00 p.m.
- November 19 - Friday - 7:00 p.m.
- November 20 - Saturday - 2:00 p.m.
Tickets are $7 at the door. There are almost 160 students involved in this production! It’s completely family friendly, so bring the kids and a friend! Audience members must wear a mask regardless of immunization status.
- November 11 - NO SCHOOL - Veterans Day
- November 17 - PTA Meeting - 5:00 p.m.
- November 18, 19, 20 - Willy Wonka Jr.
- November 24, 25, 26 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving
We will celebrate Halloween on October 29 here at WGMS. All students are welcome to take part in our Halloween Costume Contest. Prizes will be awarded in three categories: Scariest, Funniest, Most Creative/DIY. Please be attentive to safety and school appropriate costumes.
Picture Retake Day
If you missed our first picture day or if you need a retake, the photographers will be here again on Tuesday, October 26, 2021. Pictures can be ordered online at https://www.upstate-images.com/.
Our school code is 61685JA. If you are having retakes then you must return your photo package to school.
The Upstate Images Customer Service phone number is 1-855-773-3321.
Order your Yearbook!
The ordering system for the 2022 yearbook is now open! The link is here: https://www.balfour.com/student-info?smi=53114
Order Now for the Best Deal!
Yearbooks are $25 until December 31, 2021.
The price increases to $30 starting January 1, 2022.
Information about the Special Referendum Capital Project
At the Board of Education meeting held on September 15, Assistant Superintendent for Management Services, Christine DeMass, kicked off the Special Referendum Capital Project, with architects from King & King also sharing details about the project. Information about the Special Referendum can be seen in each school lobby on poster boards and also more detailed information is available on the website by clicking here.
Be on the lookout for more information about an upcoming Community Forum to be held on Monday, November 15, and please save the date for the vote on the referendum which will be held on Monday, December 6.
West Genesee District PTA/PTO Talk with the Superintendent will be Virtual
Please join the West Genesee PTA/PTO District Council for a Talk with the Superintendent on October 5, 2021 starting at 7:00 p.m. via Zoom. (It was previously scheduled for in-person at the high school, but will now be available in this virtual format.)
- October 5 - Talk with the Superintendent
- October 8 - Wildcat Friday - Wear your Blue and Gold!
- October 11 - NO SCHOOL - Columbus Day
- October 26 - Picture Retakes
- October 29 - Halloween Costume Contest
- November 11 - NO SCHOOL - Veterans’ Day
- November 18, 19, 20 - Willie Wonka Jr. - School Musical
September 3, 2021
Dear WGMS Families,
We are almost there! I want to share important updates regarding arrival and dismissal as well as some upcoming events.
Morning Drop Off:
- We encourage families to use our district’s transportation. Busses will arrive in the front circle at approximately 8:30 a.m.-8:45 a.m.
- Early drop off is now 8:00 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. in the front circle. Drop off will switch to the back of the building (entrance 6) while busses arrive and unload in the front circle. Cars should not enter the front circle at this time.
- Breakfast will be available if desired. Students will be released to their classes at 8:45 a.m.
- Look to Officer Skardinski and other monitors for directions.
- Late arrivals (after 8:50 a.m.) should drop off in the front of the building
- Bus Dismissal will be 3:20 p.m.-3:25 p.m.
- Families who selected “self-transportation” via the Transportation Survey have been mailed car tags. These should arrive tomorrow.
- If you were unable to respond to the survey, contact the Main Office at 315- 487-4615 to make arrangements to receive a tag.
- Please avoid arriving before 3:10 p.m. if you are self-transporting.
- Do not enter the bus loop as pick-up will be in the back of the building.
- Please pull forward looking for a sign to start the line. Stay to the right next to the building. As the line reaches the end of the building, we will form a second line.
- Students will be dismissed to cars starting at 3:26 p.m.
- Look for monitors who will be directing traffic flow.
Arrival and dismissal will be logistically challenging as we are loading and unloading two buildings simultaneously. We appreciate your patience and cooperation.
Peanut Free Classrooms:
ALL of our classrooms are peanut free. Please check the ingredients label on any snacks that will be consumed in a classroom. There are designated peanut free tables in the cafeteria during lunch and breakfast.
- Friday, September 10 – 5th Grade Dance/Open Gym 3:30 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Concessions (pizza, snacks, drinks) will be sold for $1 each. Pick up at the front circle on or before 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 15– PTA Meeting-5:00 p.m. WGMS Library Classroom
- Friday, September 17– 6th Grade Dance/Open Gym 3:30 p.m.-5:00 p.m. Concessions (pizza, snacks, drinks) will be sold for $1 each. Pick up at the front circle on or before 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 21– Picture Day
It’s a Great Day to be a Wildcat!
Follow us on Twitter @MJMcGrathjr